Thursday, July 5, 2018

More MLS Musings!

TorontoRealtyBlog

I've never been one to spoil a surprise, but this time, I have no choice.

Toronto Realty Blog Version 6.0 will be launched in the next two weeks, and while the plan was to simply post a "Be Right Back" message today, as is often the case with these things, we're not entirely sure if we're on schedule.

So in the meantime, how about some "funnies," as old people say, when they're referring to comics.

Oh – and just to whet the appetite, TRB6.0 will have a data feature on aggregate sold prices that isn't available anywhere else on the Internet…

LaughEmojiNew

 

I'm not going to get into yet another discussion about commission today.

A cooperating brokerage can offer 2.5%, or 2.0%, or 1%, or even $1.00.

But I'm pretty sure this isn't permitted:

Commission01 (2)

I'm just going to throw this out there…

Being a listing agent means more than just putting the property up on MLS.

There are a slew of duties and responsibilities, and with this, comes skill, and often taking on the tough jobs.

So when I see the following, it reeks of an agent that can't stand up to his or her client:

OFfers

What the hell is this about?

And no, this property wasn't tenanted.

This was a seller making demands on showing times, which might not be the end of the world, except, there's an offer date!  This property was seemingly priced for competition, and the agent didn't have the guts to tell the seller that he or she was being ridiculous.

It didn't sell, FYI.  I've been watching this one a while.

While on the subject of agents, how about this agent, who is apparently so proud of his or her listing and the surrounding area, but doesn't actually know the correct school:

SouthLeaSchool

"South Lea" is not a school.

It's Northlea.

But this is on the south side of Eglinton.

So the school is Bessborough.

(FAIL)

Rental discrimination is a hot topic, and will continue to be, as the market remains competitive, and the rules and regulations from the previous provincial government remain in place.

So when I receive an offer to lease on a property I've listed for an investor-client, I always handle the process of telling the other side, "Thanks, but no thanks," very delicately.

I can't figure out why somebody would put this on MLS:

Income

Asking for a minimum income isn't unreasonable, but I wouldn't put it  in writing.  Just say "no" to any prospective tenant that doesn't meet your criteria.  Many of you will say, "But David, you're just wasting people's time!  Why not specify the requirements, and save a lot of people, a lot of energy?"

Ordinarily, I'd agree.  But think of the sociopolitical climate we're in right now, where every complaint finds an eager audience, and absurd, backwards-Liberalism has made it impossible to tell a colleague, "You look nice today."

Do you want to be the person on the other end of a rental discrimination claim?

Asking for photo ID?  Really?

This landlord is just begging for trouble…

I'm into some weird stuff, just like the next guy.

But I'm pretty sure this isn't my thing…

OpenConceptPowder

I always marvel at agents' attempts to market nothing.

Like writing "This Unit Has Running Water!" in an MLS listing.

Next-to-nothing is how I would sum this up:

PrivateBalcony

28 square feet isn't anything to write home about.

Granted, it's more than a Juliette balcony, or no balcony, so I'll give it that.

But to say "balcony" is sufficient.

To say "28 square foot private balcony" assumes:

a) 28 square feet isn't literally the smallest balcony possible
b) it's private, and we should feel fortunate that it's not shared

This is my favourite from the past little while.

I love, and by that I mean hate, when people use quotation marks when they're not supposed to.

Like, what is this trying to say:

Quotes

It reminds me of….

….hmmmm……

……this!

Every listing agent can determine how he or she wants to handle offers.

Within reason, of course.

Earlier this year, a colleague of mine had his offer rejected – the agent refused to present it, because my colleague emailed and faxed the offer.

This is clearly not allowed.  All offers must be presented to the seller, no matter the medium.

But I wonder how the following offer presentation is going to go down:

Gracefully

Offers gracefully previewed at the listing brokerage on July 10th?

Oh boy.  This opens a huge can of worms.

Who is going to define "gracefully?"

And how much grace is needed?

Are we talking like Jackie Kennedy levels of grace?  Or something out of 1400's France?

I'm actually really glad I don't have an offer on this property.  I picture offers being presented to the seller like this:

GracefullyVictorian

You know I really dislike MLS photos of inanimate objects, right?

The towel rack on the wall, the candle on the counter, the microwave door opened.

But what about a photo of an inanimate object, and that photo being the MLS "feature photo" as well?

SpadinaPic01

I really do like showing photos of a condominium's amenities on the MLS listing.

I always try to get my photographer access, and encourage him to just try to shoot around whoever is working out on the treadmill in the gym, or whichever family is celebrating their grandfather's 100'th birthday in the party room.

But what do you do when you can't access the amenities?

Apparently, this:

Amenities

And last, but certainly not least, let's take a look at a photo array that really caught my eye this week:

PhotoArrayManBottom

Let's see, nice kitchen, spacious dining, floor-to-ceiling windows in the master bedroom.

It's modern, it's clean, it's open.

The photos have great colour.

What's my issue?

Well, who the hell is standing in the middle of the photo of the view of the CN Tower?

C4152366_20

This has to be some sort of joke, right?

Have a great weekend, folks!

Don't be surprised to see the blog down on Monday and Tuesday as the server propagates.

Or, don't be surprised to see a new post on Monday, as we scramble to try to adjust our watches…

The post More MLS Musings! appeared first on Toronto Real Estate Property Sales & Investments | Toronto Realty Blog by David Fleming.

Originated from https://ift.tt/2zmxPXd

No comments:

Post a Comment